Take One Dress #10 - Behind the Hedgerow

By Victoria As-it-Seams - 13:30

Take One Dress is back!! And we're welcoming Laura from Behind the Hedgerow!
Just in case you've forgotten, Take One Dress is a monthly series, where a different blogger sews something inspired by the previous month's blogger's challenge.
It's a chain of creativity and this, the tenth installment, is fantastic. 
It's from Laura, who blogs at Behind the Hedgerow.  I'm so delighted to that Laura's joined this series. She always sews fantastic fabrics, both for her children and herself.
This post was due a few weeks ago, but we all know what it's like when you  try to cram too much into one month, and nothing goes to plan? Well October was like that, and the Take One Dress series slipped a bit. But that's fine by me; sewing and blogging should be fun  - and I was completely happy to wait for Laura's creation.
And it's been worth the wait! Laura was given the challenge of sewing a dress, inspired by Tasha of Glitter and Wit, and she's done something really fun! Over to you Laura...

Tinny Dress // Behind the Hedgerow 

I'm Laura from Behind the Hedgerow and last month Tasha (Glitter and Wit) set me my challenge for the Take One Dress series...and this time it's personal! 
The dress she chose as my inspiration was none other than one she'd sewn herself! 

So this post, and the dress I made, can be seen as an interpretation of Tasha's own personal style - how lucky for me to be given a challenge which includes so much life and joy! More specifically, here is the dress given as my inspiration.

 

When I saw this dress for the first time, something about it immediately reminded me of Straightgrain's Hanami Dress which I recently made

The style is 100% Tasha - contrasting fabrics, unexpected combinations, quirky details - and I was immediately rolling numerous ideas around my head!

 Tinny Dress // Behind the Hedgerow 
Upon further reading, I discovered that the pattern Tasha used here is indeed a Straightgrain pattern - the Peplum Bubble Dress
So for this project I decided to keep with the Straightgrain theme and sew the Tinny Dress (which has been on my 'to-sew' list for far too long!).

  

The Tinny Dress pattern, like all of Straightgrain's patterns, is full of versatility and room for personalisation so I had lots of play with in terms of finished style. I let Tasha be my inspiration here!

 Tinny Dress // Behind the Hedgerow
If you're not familiar with Tasha's blog, Glitter and Wit, then you're missing a real gem in the world of sewing bloggers. Her style never ceases to surprise and wow me. She is the epitome of a fearless sewist - never afraid to try something new be it with fabrics, styles, colours, trims or, where she particularly excels, mixing it all up to create something that just oozes personal style. She always shakes up the status quo and helps keep other sewing bloggers - myself included - on our toes; you just never know what's coming next! 
 Tinny Dress // Behind the Hedgerow 

But Tasha does something more than just throw lots of styles, fabrics and colours in the proverbial sewing blender with a finished garment spat out at the other end. Sometimes it all may seem a bit wild but the patterns, palette, and textures all hang together, creating stunning, well-balanced pieces. With all of this in mind I now turned my attention to choosing fabric. Here I've tried to harness Tasha's fearlessness to create a dress with statement and flair...and I've loved the whole process! The bodice and collar/cuffs are both Kona cotton in one of my favourite colour combinations. The skirt fabric is a linen/cotton blend by Echino for Kokka fabrics that I bought here (there are other colourways available). I just adore those rhinos! The pom-pom trim gives the whole dress a circus feel which I love (not that I've ever seen rhinos in a circus!).

 Tinny Dress // Behind the Hedgerow  
The Tinny dress has a lot of options and I chose the open collar, notched cuffs (to mimic the bunting of the skirt), and the pleated skirt. I made a size a 6 for my 6.75 year old but I extended the bodice by 3cm. While I was sewing I thought it might be too small but in fact there's still room for growth.

 Tinny Dress // Behind the Hedgerow 

This is a real party dress for Margot. As any little girl would, she loves the pom-poms and the quirkiness of the fabric. In addition to this, I love the colours, the playfulness, and the details of the design. In short, it's a dress to make us both happy - whether it's for parties or simply climbing trees! Thanks Tasha for such rich inspiration!

 Tinny Dress // Behind the Hedgerow 

So, now it's my turn to pass on the inspiration baton. I am handing over to the ever-capable, Olga from Kid Approved. 

  

Here's what I love about this dress: bold print; simple and retro design; room for lots of personalisation and accessorizing; it's made by the Dutch company KidsCase which I just love; it's 100% cotton. I love this whole look with the patterned tights, cardigan and shoes. I think secretly I just want to wear this myself! Have fun Olga - can't wait to see what you come up with! 

 Tinny Dress // Behind the Hedgerow 

Victoria, thanks for inviting me to take part in this series - I've enjoyed the whole process and think it's such a fun, fresh idea for a sewing series. Can't wait to keep following along with all the creations. Thanks for reading, Laura x

   
Laura! That is simply brilliant! I love the colours and the pompoms and the rhinos. Irresistible! And it is so Tasha's style. Thank you so much for taking part, and for cramming this post into your busy life! Greatly appreciated! 

Take One Dress update!
So we had to wait a little longer for this month's installment - but the good news is that Olga's creation will be here super-quick! Next Monday in fact! Come back here on Monday November 10, to see where Laura's inspiration dress takes Olga...
Follow As-it-Seams here, to make sure you don't miss her post.

Follow on Bloglovin



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Laura!!! This is stunning! I love the fabric combination (as I love Tasha's style) and all the details. I can imagine your daughter loves it too... An xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great creation Laura! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. So so pretty! Love it! Love the inspiration dress as well. :) Time to get to work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura, it is perfect! Quirky, fun, cool - perfect :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you, and try to reply as often as I can, either here or by email. All views, tips, gratefully received...
Victoria